Published Dec 31, 2018Kevin Spacey will plead not guilty to a sexual assault charge filed by an 18-year-old accuser, according to an affidavit obtained by the Boston Globe.
In addition, the disgraced actor has requested to not appear in court — a request that has since been denied by the judge overseeing the case.
"I am requesting that this court excuse my physical presence at the arraignment as I reside out-of-state and believe that my presence will amplify the negative publicity already generated in connection with this case. … I wish to enter a plea of not guilty," Spacey's affidavit said of the case against him filed in Nantucket District Court in Massachusetts.
As previously reported, Spacey has been charged with felony sexual assault and is set to be arraigned in Massachusetts on January 7. The assault is alleged to have taken place against the 18-year-old son of a Boston TV news anchor in a Nantucket bar in July 2016.
On Christmas Eve, Spacey added a strange layer to the situation, releasing a video in character as Frank Underwood from House of Cards where he seems to address the charge.
"You wouldn't believe the worst without evidence, would you? You wouldn't rush to judgment without facts, would you? Did you?" Spacey said ominously in the video. "I can promise you this: If I didn't pay the price for the things we both know I did, I'm certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn't do."