Someone Is Suing Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop over Those Exploding "Vagina" Candles
A Texas customer says the wellness guru's merchandise is "inherently dangerous"
Published May 18, 2021If you thought you'd heard the last of Gwyneth Paltrow's "Vagina" candles, we're sad to say you're sorely mistaken. The wellness guru's Goop merchandise is once again making headlines for its tendency to explode.
After a UK woman first revealed that the "This Smells Like My Vagina" votive had the power to cause an "inferno" in her home, another irate customer has come forward with new allegations about the combustible candle — and he's suing Goop for damages.
A Texas resident named Colby Watson alleges that he bought the $94 10.5-ounce candle online earlier this year, and that after burning the wick for "an estimated three hours or less," the candle became engulfed in "high flames" and exploded shortly after, according to TMZ.
In his class-action lawsuit against the company, Watson is seeking damages exceeding $5 million, claiming that the merchandise is "inherently dangerous." Watson also acknowledged that the Goop website recommends burning the candle for only two hours at a time, but said the warning isn't enough.
On the Goop website, a description of the candle reads:
WARNING: BURN CANDLE WITHIN SIGHT. KEEP AWAY FROM THINGS THAT CATCH FIRE. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS. TRIM WICK TO 1/8" BEFORE EVERY LIGHTING. PLACE ON A STABLE, HEAT RESISTANT SURFACE. KEEP WAX POOL FREE OF DEBRIS. DO NOT BURN FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS AT A TIME. ALLOW GLASS TO COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE HANDLING.
Watson said he left the candle in a safe spot — on a level surface and away from any open windows — but the charred remains still managed to destroy a side table and filled the room with smoke.
Goop has yet to respond to the allegations publicly, though it's possible that Paltrow may address the situation in her forthcoming second season of Netflix's The Goop Lab. A release date for that has yet to be confirmed.